Saturday, June 02, 2007

Rothfuss, Tolkien & Dick -- Not a Law Firm

Time for another Chronicle science fiction and fantasy review, now featuring the latest from Patrick Rothfuss, J.R.R. Tolkien and Philip K. Dick.

I more or less had to be talked into covering all three of these titles. The publicist at DAW kept after me until I agreed to at least try the extra-large "The Name of the Wind." I was unaware of "The Children of Hurin" until it showed up at the local Borders (guess Houghton-Mifflin didn't want any SPOILERS! getting out [there's lots of incest!!!!] and so chose to send no advance copies) and then decided that reviewing it was obligatory. The Dick collection isn't new work, but my editor convinced me that I should discuss it. I just hope the folks at Making Light don't make fun of me, like poor Charles McGrath.

3 comments:

Mark Celsor said...

Thanks Michael, I'll probably actually pick up that PKD anthology. Right now I'm reading (and loving) the PKD Reader, after (amazingly) failing to find "The Man in the High Castle," "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" or "Ubik" at any used book places in Berkeley. I totally missed out on Dick's stuff when I was younger and now I need brush up a bit, so my computer programmer coworkers will stop questioning my geek credentials. ;)

Patois42 said...

Love your spoiler aside!

Hot Neon Lives said...

Lovvely blog you have