Monday, June 04, 2007

Lileks Keeps His Job

There will be those whose schadenfreude will have been thwarted by the announcement that, although he's lost his daily column, James Lileks won't be taking a buyout from the Minneapolis Star Tribune and will instead receive a plum new assignment. But I'm not one of them.

I've been reading The Bleat for almost a decade, and it has brought me a lot of enjoyment. As a political commentator, Lileks went a little off the rails after 9/11 ("The terrorists are coming to Minnesota to kill MY CHILD!!!"), but he's always been a reliable source of fun and insightful writing about pop culture. His Gallery of Regrettable Food is still gut-bustingly hilarious.

I'm not so keen on his fiction, though. I couldn't even finish his mystery novel, "Mr. Obvious." The snappy patter that works in a blog post begins to sound... desperate when stretched across a 200-page narrative.

Some will complain that Lileks is overpaid or lazy or just plain insufferable. But I'm glad he achieved the resolution that he wanted. I know what it's like to work at a place where the Specter of Unemployment stalks the halls and can only wish him well.

No comments: