Saturday, February 17, 2007

Totally Nuts!

Sometimes I'm hit hard by the realization that I live in a sociological bubble here in the liberal-minded San Francisco Bay Area. It certainly was news to me that various librarians and parents across the country are up in arms over the appearance of the word "scrotum" in the opening pages of the Newbery Award-winning "The Higher Power of Lucky" by Susan Patron.

Some school librarians are refusing to add the novel to their collections. One wrote, "The inclusion of genitalia does not add to the story one bit and that is my objection. Because of that one word, I would not be able to read that book aloud."

People are freaking out over "scrotum"? That strikes me as the perfectly clinically correct term for the body part in question. It's the work of 10 seconds to create a list of 20 other words or phrases that offend me more.

Patron does a good job of defending herself, but it really shouldn't come to that.

No comments: